2020 JEMS Mount Hermon Update
Updated April 28, 2020 @ 10:40pm
Dear JEMS Family,
It is with great sadness that I inform you of the official cancellation of this year’s JEMS Mount Hermon summer conferences.
This was not a decision we made lightly, as we know how beloved and impactful all our summer camps are to our JEMS community. However, the health and safety of our conferees are of utmost importance.
Our lead partner, the Mount Hermon Conference Center, has decided based upon the coronavirus restrictions for Santa Cruz County to cancel their summer programs. We fully endorse and support Mount Hermon’s decision to follow the guidance provided by Santa Cruz County. We know that social distancing would be impossible in a Mount Hermon setting. With no known vaccine, we do not want to risk anyone getting sick at camp.
Therefore, the JEMS board of directors decided to cancel not only Family Camp, but all of our camps this summer – out of an abundance of caution to ensure that we don’t put anyone’s health at risk, and to follow the lead of our partner based on the advice of public health officials.
Please be in prayer for all of our ministry partners: Mount Hermon Conference Center and Redwood, MayMac, Koinonia, and Monte Vista Christian School. Their summer programs make up most of their yearly income, so without conferees, they really need our prayers and financial support!
You will receive another email from your respective camp directors in the near future. Since we can’t hold a JEMS Mount Hermon conference in person, some possible alternatives will be offered at that time.
With regards to any financial questions, if you registered through the Mount Hermon Conference Center, you probably received an email directly from them. One option was to give your “deposit” as a donation to Mount Hermon. Please prayerfully consider this option as their source of summer income is no longer there.
If you registered at a youth camp or special camp, and your check was deposited already, you will receive a full refund. If your check has not been cashed, JEMS will properly destroy your check.
Another option for the registration fees is to designate all or part as of it as a donation to JEMS. You will receive a tax-deductible receipt. If you prefer to have your check sent back to you, or you would like to designate all or a portion of the registration fees as a donation, please contact BarrettL@jems.org by May 30, 2020. Please prayerfully consider this option since we still plan to have some sort of online “Mount Hermon” event. These funds will be used to cover any technical charges, honorariums, as well as other overhead that Mount Hermon typically covers.
I read an article recently that this “lockdown” shouldn’t just be endured. Instead, it should help us make some significant changes as to how we do life, ministry and work. JEMS like many other organizations is trying to re-invent ourselves in midst of an impending recession and social distancing guidelines. The wonderful truth however, is that God NEVER changes. He is the Alpha and the Omega. Our message will not change. JEMS will continue to share God’s love to those who do not know Him.
We sigh with you today at the news of having to cancel Mount Hermon. But also join us in prayer, asking the Lord to use this time to help JEMS became even more passionate and innovative in sharing the Gospel.
I pray that you and your family remain safe. Thank you for your partnership in ministry, especially as it relates to the Mount Hermon summer camps. We look forward to seeing you next year (Lord willing) at Mount Hermon!
Rick Chuman, JEMS Executive Director