JEMS History

Over 50 years of Ministry


History of JEMS

In May of 1950, JEMS – the Japanese Evangelical Missionary Society – was born at Mount Hermon as ministers met and prayed. After World War II, they had a dream to rebuild their churches, evangelize their communities, and send the gospel of Christ back to Japan through the sending of missionaries.

Sharing the gospel overseas has also expanded with the development of many programs and the inclusion of South America as another mission field.

Headquartered in Los Angeles, JEMS is a non-profit, para-church organization. It is supported by an interdenominational network of Japanese and Asian American churches and especially by individual supporters.

Other Historic Photos

First Board of Directors
First Gospel Team

 

1st JEMS Headquarters in garage rear of Rev. Nagano’s residence in East Los Angeles